Thursday, November 15, 2012

warm & toasty


Today was a beautiful day. Waking before the sun I got to witness a brilliant orange and red sky as the sun burst forth to sine upon a new day. And though I am not generally an early morning person (before 6am makes me make sad face), watching the breath taking sunrise made it worth every groggy moment. The Fall sun shone bright and warm through windows as we chatted over breakfast and giggled over new lessons; we are learning French with using Beth Manners CD's (fun french for kids and magic french for kids) and it is fun to try to sing along.


Today was a calm day, a cozy day, a moving slow and enjoying each moment day. There was crafting to be done; we started making toilet paper roll race cars. We had a blast but will have to finish them another day because we ran out of cardboard for the wheels. Oops! But no worries. The sun was calling us outside to enjoy sweet rays on our faces and damp earth beneath our bottoms. I sat back across the yard watching my Bodhi play with the chickens and the dirt, allowing him to experience his own thoughts. I wonder what makes him suddenly squeal and make thinking face then suddenly look up and catch my eye as though he knew my thoughts. Such a big little man.


ZOOM! Loki speeds by in his cardboard slice of heaven...a silver race car with turning steering wheel and shifter. It's his pride and joy and I must say it is a nifty little creation. He takes such pride in his crafting and I can't help but smile as he runs past like a box of lightening, a group of chickens in hot pursuit of this darting shimmering creature.





All too soon the air gets chilly and the little islands of sun puddled on the grass get smaller and smaller. Our cue to head in for dinner. A yummy recipe flitted across my facebook today, made by a Mary Bogue, called Broccoli Goddess Soup. It looked delicious but as always I couldn't resist putting my own little spin on it. And wowza! So good I surprised myself. Not a drop of dairy but boy the flavor was just like creamy cheese and broccoli soup. This goes into my little stash of delicious goodies.

Green Garden Goddess Soup

Ingredients:
-1 whole zucchini sliced into circles
-2 red potatoes (1 red 1 yellow) halved and sliced
-1/2 a bunch of kale
-4 cups of broccoli florets
-3 or 4 cloves of garlic left in the skin
-olive oil
-2 cups vegetable broth

Tools: 
-Blender
-Medium Sauce Pan


Directions:
Set the oven to 350 degress. Place the zucchini, potatoes, kale, broccoli, and garlic (still in the skins) onto a cookie sheet and drizzle with olive oil. (I am a liberal user of olive oil and drench more than drizzle at times...go with what looks good to you.) Roast in the oven for 15-18 minutes; or long enough to have the broccoli be just a little tender. The kale will be krispy like kale chips this is okay.Pour the vegetable broth into the blender and place the roasted vegetables into the blender (remember to remove the garlic skin now). Blend until soup is the consistency you desire. I left ours a little chunky. You can heat the soup further on the stove in a sauce pan. Top with seasonal herbs, cheese, or whatever speaks to you. I paired the soup with yummy buttermilk biscuits and topped with cheese and hot sauce.

What a delicious way to end a gorgeous day. 

How do you spend your cozy slow going days?
What yummy meal ends the perfect lovely Fall day for you?

1 comment:

  1. Yummy life, sounds like a brilliant day! Can't wait to be there with you guys enjoying the nature

    ReplyDelete